NYSC (National Youth Service Corp) is a one-year national assignment and body that is compulsory for all Nigerian graduates. It is seen as a long time for most Nigerians. Most Nigerians are confused on what to do at this time. In this post, we’ll be looking at the best things to do before, during, and after NYSC if you want to travel out of Nigeria (Japa).
Through this post, you can get to know what to do with your service year, especially if your dream is Japa (travelling out of the country). The words here are great guide or steps for you. You should read, understand, and put them into work.
The Best Things to do Before, During, and After NYSC if you want to Travel out of Nigeria (Japa)
These are what to do as a prospective corp member, and before NYSC fully begins for you.
1. Get your statement of results.
2. Request for your academic transcript or download the one on your portal and merge to PDF.
3. Request for a proof of English as language of instruction in your university (letter from registrar’s office).
4. Ensure that you have good relationship with atleast 3 lecturers.
You shouldn’t just spend your time watching movies, or just working on your results. You should use your time and do other stuffs.
1. Write standardized exams in line with your next phase of life (GRE, TOEFL, GMAT, etc). You can do this with the savings of your NYSC. You should know that your NYSC allawee won’t be enough, and so, you should do additional things to make money for yourself.
NOTE: The US embassy in Nigeria funds some of these through opportunity fund programs. You should look into it.
2. Explore professional trainings and certifications (ICAN, NIM etc). This one is also very important.
3. Do not ignore opportunity to Intern (research assistantship, Ass. QC analysts etc). You can be doing this alongside your service, depending on where you are posted to.
4. Explore Opportunities (some described below).
Local: BEA, OFP (Us embassy), NNPC, Shell etc.
Regional: Pan African University Scholarship etc.
International: Chevening, commonwealth, MasterCard etc.
Institutional: Vice Chancellor scholarships, sports or arts scholarship etc.
NOTE: If International scholarship is your choice, no one needs your NYSC certificate before you can start applying.
Regional: Tony Elumelu foundation Grant….
International: Geneva Challenge…….
C. Fellowships (You can go for these fellowships right after the service year since you can’t travel internationally during your service year)
D. Conferences (What is obtained in Fellowships applies here)
5. Let your CDS contribution be remarkable (a recommendation letter acknowledging your role will be important).
6. Don’t run with the multitude, realities after NYSC differ.
7. Don’t be under pressure (After NYSC what Next???), You may hasten yourself to many errors.
8. Grow yourself in Welcoming rejections, you may get a few while applying.
9. Apply as much as you can.
Note: Create two CVs (one academic and one general). It helps to maximize your applications.
If you haven’t accomplished any of the above,
1. Be truthful to yourself (Are you willing to stay in the state of deployment or go back home?)
2. Resist pressure (Being alive is more important than anything else, don’t let anyone over push you).
3. Develop a mindset that no one owes you nothing (It helps in managing disappointment).
4. Identify platforms where legal opportunities are shared.
C. Opportunity desk
D. Opportunity for Africans
E. Scholarship hub.
While applying and waiting, get yourself busy
5. Write manuscript from your undergraduate project.
6. Submit conference abstracts.
7. Register with an organization (volunteer) and start gathering experience.
8. Start learning a hands-on skill that you may need later in life. Could also be digital trainings in Bioinformatics, data science, AI, ML, Coding, Programming etc.
When it seems like nothing is working, keep striving. You should constantly hold on to your belief. You apply better, work harder, improve, and you’ll definitely get the needed results soon.
This post has successfully examined the best things to do before, during, and after NYSC if you want to Travel out of Nigeria (Japa). They would lead you right, even though they might take sometime.